Saturday, February 7, 2009

Why Self-Portrait with Assumption



In 1979, I sat transfixed by Titian's Assumption of the Virgin, the altarpiece in the Basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari in Venice.  I sketched it from a pew and later tacked the postcard image onto my studio wall.  In 1981, this pastel self-portrait led me to understand my deep connection to this image.  Mary reaches up into the Godly realm.  She connects earth and heaven, worldly pursuits and the spiritual.  I, with my arms reaching downward to the drawing-in-progress, realize my own transcendence.  This is what art-making is for me:  a vechicle to discover myself, my world, and glimmers of the divine. 
                                                                     


4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's been many years since our last getting togetherness, yet I find you in your work as even more beautiful than I could have imagined. This self portrait is so utterly open and honest that it makes me feel like you are close enough for a warm hug.

Anonymous said...

i have no words for how touched i am by both your words and images.
as soon as i get my breath back, i will write more.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your personal discovery with the rest of us. This is nothing but inspirational. I received your blogspot in my email just when I needed a reminder what my artistic journey should be for myself and be grateful that I can communicate what I learn with others.

donna malone said...

What an amazing portrait of yourself and so much wosdom..really touching and real!